Photo : DR - Archives ACO
The northern part of the circuit, built in 1932, reduced its overall length, and the aim was to move the race away from the expanding southern suburbs. In 1951, the first Dunlop bridge was constructed at the entry to the curve that came to bear its name. In 1956, a second Dunlop footbridge was installed just before the Tertre Rouge Esses. Then in 1965, the main bridge was moved back to the top of the curve, where it stands today as one the landmarks of the Le Mans 24-Hours circuit, as well as being a prime site for advertisers.
The Dunlop curve’s layout has been modified on several occasions to reduce cornering speeds. The first chicane was installed in 1987 and then a second in 1997, a third in 2002 and the current version dates from 2006. The view from the top of the curve (70 m above sea level) gives a panoramic view of the 8000-hectare site in which the Sarthe circuit is laid out.
Be the first to know about ACO exclusive information, special offers et good deals.