The 24 Hours of Le Mans is the pinnacle of the endurance pyramid. This monument of motorsport has been forging a legend since 1923. It is an event that challenges the mechanical reliability, sporting prowess and physical and mental strength of its competitors. In its Centenary year, many racing teams and drivers dream of being selected to be in with a chance of seeing their name enter the annals of the iconic race. The Automobile Club de l’Ouest has received sackloads of applications, but just 62 cars will be on the grid. The role of the Selection Committee is therefore a vital one.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
First of all, the 38 full-season entrants in the 2023 FIA World Endurance Championship are invited automatically. Another ten invitations are granted to teams competing in the European Le Mans Series, Michelin Le Mans Cup and Asian Le Mans Series based on their results. Three more “entry tickets” are reserved for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, the North American endurance series. The rest of the grid is made up of cars selected at the discretion of the Selection Committee, based on the quality of the sporting project. Finally, Garage 56 is set aside for an innovative car.
Teams already invited
We already know 13 of the cars invited to the 24 Hours of Le Mans Centenary:
- Prema Racing: 2022 ELMS champion (invited to compete in LMP2)
- Panis Racing: 2022 ELMS runner-up (invited to compete in LMP2)
- Cool Racing: 2022 ELMS LMP3 champion (invited to compete in LMP2)
- Proton Competition: 2022 ELMS LMGTE champion (invited to compete in LMGTE Am)
- Kessel Racing: 2022 ELMS LMGTE runner-up (invited to compete in LMGTE Am)
- Iron Lynx: 2022 ELMS LMGTE third-placed team (invited to compete in LMGTE Am)
- GMB Motorsport: 2022 Michelin Le Mans Cup winner (invited to compete in LMGTE Am)
- Action Express Racing: 2022 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship winning team (invited to compete in Hypercar)
- Wright Motorsports (invited to compete in LMP2)
- Tower Motorsports (invited to compete in LMGTE Am)
- DKR Engineering: 2023 Asian Le Mans Series LMP2 class winner
- Graff Racing: 2023 Asian Le Mans Series LMP3 class winner
- Walkenhorst Motorsport: 2023 Asian Le Mans Series GT class winner
The avidly awaited entry list for the 24 Hours of Le Mans Centenary will be revealed at 17:00 CET on Monday 27 February.